Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Low Testosterone: It Stinks, but You Can Fix It


Well, it can be pretty embarrassing for some men to admit. It may even seem that simply ignoring the whole topic will be the best option, but why? Why should you not be living at your full potential? (I certainly did not mean to make a pun here!)
Low testosterone can drag you down mentally, physically and emotionally. You get tired, depressed, lose your drive, muscle tone, strength and of course we all know that sexual appetite seems to just crash. Ugh! That part in itself can be depressing!
Well, after surviving cancer at a young age (and as a young adult), I later had problems myself with being tired, fatigued, not sleeping well, depression and just an overall feeling that something was missing...and it was! My testosterone levels were as low as dirt! What really got me though, was that none of my doctors had even considered checking my testosterone levels. After all of my extensive therapy and health history, not one doctor even suggested that I might be suffering from low testosterone.
After seeking out an endocrinologist and running a few simple blood tests, we quickly learned that my testosterone was not exactly at an optimal level. So, I guess what I'm getting at is that you always need to be your own best advocate for your health. You may not be a doctor, but you know your symptoms and you know your body better than anyone.
Let's say you have confirmed that you have low testosterone with a blood test. What should you do? Well, as I said earlier, I am not a doctor (duh!), but I certainly haven't forgotten what I've been through. The decision on what you do next is totally up to you. There are of course the testosterone gels that can be prescribed for you, but in my opinion, these are a total and complete waste of time and money! The cost of the gel is absurd, you must apply it everyday and it doesn't work nearly as well as a prescribed injectable that is a fraction of the price and administered weekly at the most. Now, these options are only if you decide to go the prescription route. Keep in mind, there is a totally natural route that you can take.

When I say natural, I'm not talking about cheap products and snake oils. I'm talking about herbs, ingredients and products backed by research. Some key natural ingredients you might want to look for are several types of amino acids. These include L-Arginine, L-Lysine, L-Glutamine and others. There are also other natural herbs that work wonders like, "Muira Puama" which means, "potency wood". It has been used for years by South Americans to treat impotency and scientific studies support it's use as an aphrodisiac and treatment for impotence. There are a ton of other herbs like Ginko Biloba that is pretty popular; Acai Fruit, Ginseng, etc. The best option in my opinion is going to be to find a quality product that is a mix of several of these key ingredients. However, always consult with your doctor before starting any new supplement and remember to consider things like diet, exercise and cholesterol levels as they can be greatly impacted by testosterone levels.


No comments:

Post a Comment